Being someone who prefers vegetarian or vegan options, but can’t eat gluten, I know how difficult it is to find meal ideas that satisfy both categories. It is especially frustrating if, like me, gluten actually causes digestive problems. So here’s a quick two recipes that are easy to make with ingredients that can be found just about anywhere.
Breakfast: Mixed Yogurt Bowl
This one is really straightforward (and yummy). And if you’re anything like me, you always find a reason to add chocolate into your breakfast.
– Banana (1,2 or 3 depending on how hungry you are!)
– Gluten-Free (chocolate) Granola
– Yogurt (any flavour you prefer)
Ideas for ingredients I didn’t use but can be added:
– Shredded Coconut
– Cocoa Nibs
– Blended Frozen Fruits
– Nuts: Almonds, Cashews, Macadamia etc.
Simply add all the ingredients together to make a gluten-free breakfast bowl. Go crazy with the ingredients! Gluten-free doesn’t have to be boring- the different flavours and textures mixed together might even beat the plain old bread you can’t eat.
If you don’t want the lactose, simply switch the yogurt for non-dairy yogurt, frozen fruits blended with non-dairy milk or just skip it altogether. I’d love non-dairy yogurt options, but unfortunately, they are very scarce in my country and the ones we can find are extremely expensive.
Lunch: Quinoa with Vegetables
Even if you rarely cook, this one is difficult to botch!
Ingredients (Serves 1):
– 2 Small Potatoes
– 1/2 Broccoli
– 1/4 Cup Quinoa
– Salt/ Garlic Salt
– Olive Oil
– Cooking Sauce of Your Choice – I used teriyaki cuz it was on hand
1. Wash, then cut the potatoes and broccoli into bite-sized chunks
2. Put the potatoes into a medium-sized saucepan and pour in enough water to cover the potatoes.
3. While the potatoes boil, prepare the quinoa
– Wash quinoa in a strainer if not pre-washed
– Put quinoa into a small saucepan
– Turn on low heat till quinoa starts to pop like popcorn :p
– Add slightly more than 1/2 cup of water
-Cover quinoa till cooked
4. Test potatoes with a fork. Just before they are fully cooked, add broccoli on top of potatoes without adding more water.
5. When potatoes and broccoli are fully cooked, drain water from saucepan and add a dash olive/coconut oil, a dash of teriyaki sauce, garlic salt and pepper and fry in same saucepan for 5-7 minutes.